Conditions We Treat
Comprehensive Endocrine Care
Patuxent Endocrinology offers comprehensive care for all endocrine-related disorders. Detailed evaluation and management of all endocrine disorders with individual treatment plans is the cornerstone of our practice. If you have an endocrine-related health condition and would like to experience healthy living again, call (443) 432-3020 or request an appointment online with Dr. Thomas today.
DiabetesComprehensive evaluation and management of all types of diabetes mellitus
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes
- Continuous glucose monitoring
- Insulin pump therapy for patients who are appropriate for this mode of therapy
Thyroid DiseaseComplete evaluation of thyroid disorders
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland)
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
- Thyroid nodules and goiter evaluation, including ultrasound and thyroid nodule fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy when necessary
- Thyroid cancer evaluation and management, including ultrasound and thyroid nodule fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy when necessary
Adrenal Gland DisordersDiagnostic testing, including blood and urine samples, detects adrenal abnormalities, which are treated with hormone replacement and/or drug therapy.
- Adrenal gland insufficiency
- Adrenal gland hormone excess
- Adrenal gland tumors
Pituitary DisordersExtensive assessment of hormone testing and neuroradiology results (MRI or CT) to determine appropriate hormone treatments
- Pituitary gland tumors
- Pituitary gland hormone insufficiency (hypopituitarism)
- Pituitary gland hormone excess (acromegaly or Cushing’s disease)
HypogonadismComplete analysis and compassionate care for the reproductive system of both men and women
- Hypogonadism – male and female
- Basic reproductive endocrinology
- Polycystic ovarian disease
Transsexualism (Gender Dysphoria)
Personalized hormone therapy designed to transition to the gender with which our patient identifies
Coordination with primary care provider and psychologist to help the transition process
Transsexualism, or gender dysphoria, occurs in people who identify psychologically and emotionally with the opposite sex of which they are born.
Dr. Thomas offers compassionate care for transsexuals that allows them to transition into the gender with which they identify. She will coordinate care with the primary care provider and psychologist and develop a treatment plan based on the recent endocrine society guidelines.
The hormone treatments are safe and effective, designed to suppress hormone production related to the biological sex while increasing hormone secretions that support the desired gender. Monitoring for side effects and referral for age-appropriate cancer screening during the hormone treatment is an important part of the treatment plan.